[kde-freebsd] kde4 related bug

Cameron Berkenpas cam at neo-zeon.de
Fri Jun 1 16:25:11 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to report bugs (this is my 1st
time reporting an issue relating to FreeBSD) so feel free to direct me
to the correct place.

I'm seeing an issue where if I drag entries from the Applications menu
to the desktop in KDE 4.8.3 (I've seen this issue with KDE 4.7.x in
FreeBSD too), I get an icon with an exclamation point. If I double click
on the icon, it attempts to run the application directly from my home
directory and I get 2 popup windows.

The 1st window states:
"This will start the program:
/home/username/pidgin
If you do not trust this program, click Cancel"

Then when I click continue I get:
"Unable to make the service Pidgin executable, aborting execution"

Note that the exclamation point remains.

I did some digging and the issue is that the icons are being created in
/home/username/Desktop with 444 permissions (and sometimes 644). To fix
the issue, the permissions need to be 755 (presumably 555 would work too).

I found that the permissions are being copied along with the icons from
/usr/local/share/applications/ (so my umask of 022 is ignored). All the
icons in /usr/local/share/applications/ are 444 (except for 2 which were
644). I "fixed" the issue by setting the permissions of
/usr/local/share/applications/*.desktop to 755. Now I can copy icons
from the applications menu without issue.

Note: Icons from other directories where the icons already have 755
permissions work with no changes (ie
/usr/local/kde4/share/applications/kde4).

Not sure if the bug is that the icons under
/usr/local/share/applications/ need to be created with 755 permissions
or if KDE needs to not require executable permissions on files it
doesn't directly execute (*.desktop files).

-Cameron