[kde-freebsd] kde4 upgrade

joaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Thu Jul 5 21:35:01 UTC 2012

Em Thu, 05 Jul 2012 15:58:37 -0500
Rusty Nejdl <rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com> escreveu:

I cut this a little

> I read the compiler output but I doubt I can reproduce this and gave
> a suggestion to get around it since this does not appear to effect
> everyone.

ok, hopefully it does not happen to everybody, but it is not only me
and this problem is not only kde related, it is a general upgrade
problem

my guess or experience is that it happens more easier more ports you
have installed, randomly it happens on some servers also but the
workstations are better victims, this ones now have over 1300 ports
installed

I can say for sure that seldom it happens to my amd64 servers, i386
almost always

> I can set up a VM box with the older kde on it and try to run through
> the update process to see if I can reproduce it.  That is why I asked
> questions about hardware (AIT card I don't have) as well as
> non-default port configs.

ok, then lets talk more exactly, what do you want, name it and I can
send it without any problem

but I really do not have some wired setup

this is for example my make.conf

CPUTYPE?=athlon64

QT4_OPTIONS+= CUPS QGTKSTYLE

WITHOUT_NOUVEAU=yes

MODULES_OVERRIDE= {list}

KDE4_PREFIX=/usr/local

PERL_VERSION=5.12.4

> The feedback I get through is saying that this is all completely
> broken and trying to troubleshoot in this fashion is not getting it.
> I believe it is always a good idea in cases like this to have
> specific, actionable, and repeatable issues, documented by several
> people and we don't have that.

I understand it, but I wonder, why nobody is talking, this is not an
isolated problem or a particular issue which only I have, this problem
is around for long time

you can easily reproduce it:

install any small metaport with pkg_add -r, so that you do not get the
latest versions

upgrade your ports tree

find a port with dependencies, so that some of them are requirements
for compiling, and others, at least one a requirement for installing

run portupgrade on the parent port and watch

 a similar problem, you will see when you run now with the actual ports
 tree 'portinstall x11/gnome-shell' and watch, you will like like it,
 specially the time you spend watching for nothing

bottom line is, the upgrade logic is bad

all requirements could be easily tested BEFORE starting downloading and
compiling

also would it be easy to check correctly if some dependency needs to be
installed (because not there) or upgraded (if old version), but not
failing

--

João Martins (JoaoBR)

Infomatik Development Team