[kde-freebsd] INSTALLS_ICONS and qt4 software

Oliver Heesakkers kdefreebsd at heesakkers.info
Wed Jan 4 01:05:46 UTC 2012

I took maintainership over a port that was written for qt4 (non KDE). The
Makefile for this port specifies:

INSTALLS_ICONS= YES

>From ports/Mk/bsd.gnome.mk I learned that this is used to make sure icons will
show up where needed.

This very Gnome-specific setting is responsible for dragging in a lot of
Gnome/GTK specific ports, which is something I don't particularly like.

Am I correct in understanding that KDE4 doesn't require INSTALLS_ICONS? I
tried it and the port seems fine without INSTALLS_ICONS

When a Gnome-user installs this port, would he/she require INSTALLS_ICONS to
have the icon show up?

If so, is there a standard way for the ports Makefile to check for the
existence or use of Gnome so I can optionally set INSTALLS_ICONS? I think it's
overkill to make an actual OPTIONS= line for it.