[kde-freebsd] kde4 Response

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sat May 16 18:44:49 CEST 2009

On Saturday 16 May 2009 07:14:54 am Mel Flynn wrote:
> On Thursday 14 May 2009 03:50:56 Kent Stewart wrote:
> > >
> > > I can assure that this is not normal. But I'm not an expert so there's
> > > not much I can do to help, other than to direct you to forums.kde.org.
> >
> > I went there and they pointed to a wiki on x and I went there. I added
> >
> > Section "ServerFlags"
> >         Option "DontZoom" "True"
> >         Option "DontZap" "False"
> >         Option "AllowEmptyInput" "False"
> >         Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
> > EndSection
> >
> > to my xorg.conf and the konsoles all shared. The Dont's were new and so
> > was Allow...". I will have to see what happens after a few hours. I have
> > thought things were fine too soon, too many times :). I also thought
> > AllowEmptyInput was fixed with moused.
>
> If this doesn't fix it:
> Section Extensions
> 	Option "Composite" "Disable"
> EndSection
>
> Then post your graphic card. My nvidia has been working 99% since 4.2.0.
> Seems to be a memory leak, that will crash plasma after 10-20 hours of use.
> I've built 4.2.3 now with debugging symbols, hoping to get something useful
> out of the crash.

I agree with the memory leak. That was my feeling to. It also could be a call
list error because the sluggish response remained after I killed x-windows. I
had to reboot to get rid of it. Before I added the DontZap option, I couldn't
log out of kde-4 and logged in from another system and told the machine to
reboot. Diagnosing what was going wrong with computer programs on mainframes
is what I did for 40 years but got burned out. The hardware level in
x-windows is several layers deeper than I ever had to go.

The mother board is an Intel dg31p? with an onboard graphics card. The
graphics card shows up as an

        Driver      "intel"
        VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
        BoardName   "82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller"
        BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"

Friday morning, I got tired (POed is closer) of having the status bar freeze
and the sticky keyboard response. I don't know what the bottom bar is called
but after just sitting there for a few hours (2-10) I couldn't use the mouse
to fire off a new application. What was running continued to work but
somewhat sluggishly. If I used kmail, it happened faster. At least, with the
needed to know if it was kde-4, x-windows, or my new hardware and did a
pkg_delete -a. I had packages of everything I had built. A package install
wouldn't take that long. Then I reinstalled everything but used kde-3. The
system now has an uptime of 26 hours. I have used kmail many times and
nothing has gone wrong.

There is something terribly wrong in kde-4 but only a few of us are seeing it.
I have seen it on an Intel server motherboard with dual Xeon's and a Radeon
graphics system and the current system. Dropping back to kde-3 solved all of
the problems on both systems.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart