[kde-freebsd] FreeBSD 7.1-REL && KDE 4.1.4 (port)

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Fri Jan 16 18:15:18 CET 2009

On Friday 16 January 2009 04:03:19 am Matthias Apitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm installing a laptop from scratch with 7.1-REL, portsnap fetch and
> portsnap extract to replace the 7.0-REL in the laptop of my wife :-)
>
> my question is concerning KDE4: is the port (4.1.4) now stable enough to
> be used or should I stay with KDE 3.5.10? when I tried it in August 2008
> KDE4 was far away to be used in production or by unexperienced users;

As far as KDE4 itself goes, the opinions will vary. 4.2 will be the first
release meant for the typical enduser. 4.1.x was meant for "early adopters",
and as such will be missing some features those used to KDE3 may be
expecting. I'm using 4.1.3 on my work laptop, and while annoying in spots, it
is fairly stable.

In terms of the FreeBSD ports, it's hard for me to say because I haven't used
it that much. Mostly this is because I have an older single-core system with
a middle-aged video card. But from what I have seen it appears to be stable,
and only hangs if you mess around with desktop effects.

--
David Johnson