[kde-freebsd] broken build -- kde3

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Sun Nov 11 15:18:24 CET 2007

On Friday 09 November 2007 04:26:47 Chuck Robey wrote:
> OK, this set of notes is mostly because I can't find a paper notepad,
> but also because it's probably going to need action by someone dealing
> with the KDE3 ports.  I am going to describe what I was trying to do,
> and what I found in trying to fix it.
>
> I was using portmanager to build things, and the stuff I found most
> often is that, in ports with a largish set of sections that can be
> optioned in, one or more of those options would be broken ... so I would
> see the errors at the termination of the portmanager run, find the port
> that seemed to have foundered on an optional dependency, figure which
> option was giving the kiss of death, and option it out.  Too trivial, I
> thought, to bother you folks with.  The last one I hit was when it
> refused x11/kde3 because it couldn't  build kdemultimedia-3.5.8, which
> couldn't build akode-plugins-polypaudio-2.0.1_1,1 which couldn't build
> polypaudio-0.7_4.  Finally, in polypaudio-0.7_4, it actually had a real
> problem, it couldn't find file polyplib-simple.h.
>
> First off, I located that file using a little script of mine that scans
> the pkg-plists for gold, and that was in polypaudio/, but that port
> failed to install (not ONLY, but mainly) cause of a collision in trying
> to add a new groupname to /etc/group ... but the name of the group that
> was already squatting there was pulse-rt.  A bit more investigation
> showed me that the polypaudio port is deprecated in favor of that new
> pulseaudio port.
>
> OK, the natural thing now was to see if that pulseaudio port supplied
> the include file I was hunting (are you still awake at the end of all
> this??) ... well, it wasn't.  There was another file in the pulseaudio
> port that had an ending of "-simple.h" but the innards were too
> different to serve as a replacement.
>
> OK, I just did a Google on it, and I don't see any traces of a
> pre-existing akode-plugins-pulseaudio port.  That would have been my
> preferred way to go, to change dependencies to need this.  Crap.  OK,
> then I will need to do some surgery to eliminate
> akode-plugins-polypaudio as a dependency.

cd /usr/ports/audio/akode
make config (and disable polypaudio there)
make
make deinstall install clean

AFAIK, polypaudio, now pulseaudio, is just yet another sound daemon thingie.
You don't need it (and it's off by default). It seems to be getting popular
in the linux world lately. Looks like akode still wants to use the / a
now-deprecated old version. It's probably just a matter of time for this to
get fixed.

HTH,

Dan