[kde-freebsd] issues with most recent KDE

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Tue Jul 10 22:51:33 CEST 2007

On Sunday, 8. July 2007, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I installed the latest KDE on a new FreeBSD machine recently. Here are
> some of the issues I'm having with the setup:
>
> 	1. kdm: although a few local users are configured to be
> 	   allowed in without a password, kdm would not let anybody
> 	   in without one. Accounts without passwords at all are
> 	   not allowed at all -- even though null (empty) passwords
> 	   are allowed in kdmrc.

Do you have a kde-np pam service definition? See
http://freebsd.kde.org/faq.php#HowdoIenablepasswordlessconvenienceloginsinKDMIcheckedthecheckboxintheLoginManagerControlbutKDMwontlogmein

> 	3. kmail: when talking to an IMAP server with bogus certificate
> 	   (self-signed and issued to a different hostname), kmail
> 	   duly asks the user, if they want to accept the certificate.
> 	   If the user says "yes", they are prompted, whether they
> 	   accept it for now, or for ever.
>
> 	   Even if the user clicks "Forever", they still get prompted
> 	   next time kmail is started.

Sounds like kded isn't running - if you have the klaptopdaemon port installed,
make sure you have the latest version, the previous one would cause kded to
not be launched due to an unresolved symbol.

> 	4. I wanted to enable the keyboard layouts to switch between
> 	   Ukrainian, Russian, and English. Unfortunately, the "layouts"
> 	   pane in Kontrol Center (under "Localization and Accessibility"->
> 	   "Keyboard Layouts") remained EMPTY, even after I clicked on
> 	   "Enable layouts" checkbox.
>
> 	   What package should I add/reinstall to have they layouts there?

Not sure (works for me), but if you do not have the xorg-clients metaport
installed, try installing the various xorg xkb* utilities.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org