[kde-freebsd] [CODE DROP] KDE support for Avahi service browsing on FreeBSD

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Tue Apr 10 13:37:28 CEST 2007

Hi,

As part of my ongoing work to support Zero-configuration networking in
FreeBSD, please check out the following patches. I have been able to
browse and connect to services from with the KDE environment using these.

At the moment, the basic kernel support for Zeroconf/Bonjour is in place
in FreeBSD. The next challenge there is to support address scope and
preference for IPv4.

http://people.freebsd.org/~bms/dump/nss_mdns.diff
is a patch for the FreeBSD port of nss_mdns which I may commit shortly
as it fixes a dynamic symbol issue found by Pat Lashley. nss_mdns must
be installed and configured in FreeBSD's /etc/nsswitch.conf files before
proceeding.

http://people.freebsd.org/~bms/dump/avahi-qt3.diff
is a patch for the FreeBSD avahi port to build and install the QT3
bindings for Avahi. After applying this patch and reinstalling the avahi
port, please manually change the following file's 'prefix' line to point
to ${X11BASE}, at ${LOCALBASE}libdata/pkgconfig/avahi-qt3.pc. e.g.
"prefix=/usr/local" would become "prefix=/usr/X11R6".
This is to allow kdnssd-avahi's configure script to find QT's
Meta-object compiler (moc) which the FreeBSD ports system installs under
${X11BASE} by default.

[Help from a ports committer to convert this patch into a 'slave port'
would be very appreciated.]

http://people.freebsd.org/~bms/dump/kdnssd_avahi.tar
is a port for kdnssd-avahi. Installing this port will overwrite the
default libkdnssd.so.1 library which is installed by the kdelibs port.

After applying both of these changes to your system, you must completely
restart KDE for them to take effect. Please read the pkg-message file in
kdnssd_avahi.tar for step-by-step information on how to test the Avahi
support for KDE in FreeBSD.

I would greatly welcome your further testing and feedback. I apologise
in advance for the unpolished nature of this work, however, integration
of Avahi with KDE is an ongoing challenge for many other open source
projects, and I would hope that the loose ends on FreeBSD become tied
together in the near future.

Thanks again,
BMS