plugins-to-plugins and mimetypes and json

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Fri Jan 5 14:47:24 GMT 2024

Hi wise peoples

During the switch to KF6, all plugins seems to now be required to use
the json based plugin approach, which has quite many advantages, like
"data embedded into the binary and no change of getting out of sync"

Unfortunately it also seems to have at least one disadvantage. How do I
extend plugins with plugins and then let my "main" plugin tell the world
which mimetypes it supports. (3rdparties can also provide these
plugins)

Less theoretical and more practical:

the Okular KPart can show documents. But by itself, it can't do
anything. It has plugins (called generators).

If you build and install the pdf generator, the kpart now supports viewing
pdf documents. If you install the dvju generator, the kpart now supports
dvju documents.

How do I tell e.g. konqueror that the okular kpart supports <mimetypes
that list of installed plugins supports> ?

Or is this a feature that has just been accidentally lost and thus we
accidentally killed advanced usage of kparts ?

/Sune