Frameworks / Plasma/ Gear Release Schedule Plan

christoph at cullmann.io christoph at cullmann.io
Sat Sep 9 12:49:55 BST 2023

On 2023-09-05 23:08, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El dimarts, 5 de setembre de 2023, a les 22:42:13 (CEST),
> christoph at cullmann.io va escriure:
>> On 2023-09-04 22:59, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>> > El dilluns, 4 de setembre de 2023, a les 18:50:45 (CEST), David
>> > Edmundson va
>> >
>> > escriure:

>> > For the trigger happy among us...
>> >
>> > This is a plan/proposal, let's give people at least one week to
>> > comment/
>> > disagree on it before making master Qt6-only for Gear apps.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> yes, good point.
>>
>> Just a technical question: if we do this after that period, what is
>> the process to do it for an application belonging to Gear?
>>
>> Will it just be sufficient e.g. for Kate to drop the Qt 5 variants in
>>
>> https://invent.kde.org/utilities/kate/-/blob/master/.kde-ci.yml?ref_type=hea
>> ds
>>
>> and
>>
>> https://invent.kde.org/utilities/kate/-/blob/master/.gitlab-ci.yml?ref_type=
>> heads
>>
>> and require KF 6 + Qt 6 in the CMake files or is there additional
>> stuff
>> that
>> needs updates to avoids one breaks stuff?
>
> My guess is what you are describing plus updating things in
> repo-metadata, i
> can think of
>
> dependencies/logical-module-structure
>   to update the branch info (i.e. kf5-qt5 won't be master anymore, i
> guess
> point it to the latest stable branch)
>
> dependencies/dependency-data-kf6-qt6
>   to update the dependency info
>   But this is autogenerated by Nico scripts nowadays so... maybe not?
> or prod
> him to run the script?
>
> projects/*/*/i18n.json
>   to update the i18n branch information
>
> Anything else I am missing?

Hi,

Thanks for the additional pointers.

Given no one did seem to oppose so far, I would consider to switch Kate
to Qt 6 in master next Wednesday and start the bit Qt 6 run :)

(If nothing comes up here)

The everybody had a week to chime in.

Let's make our Qt 6 based 'bundled' release next year a good one ;)

Greetings
Christoph