kio-extras and the KF5/KF6 period

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu May 25 22:19:27 BST 2023

El dijous, 25 de maig de 2023, a les 12:51:32 (CEST), Nicolas Fella va
escriure:
> Hi,
>
> Am 17.05.23 um 00:02 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> > kio-extras provides plugins for kio.
> >
> > So KF5 applications want a KF5 kio-extras and KF6 applications want a KF6
> > kio- extras.
>
> This is also the case in more places, e.g. Breeze/Oxygen and
> plasma-integration, so having a unified approach would make sense.
>
> > If we're going to support a period on which we ship both Kf5 and KF6 based
> > applications we need to:
> >
> > Make sure kf5 and kf6 are coinstallable.
> >
> > a) release two tarballs, one for each KF
>
> In some cases, where there is a large enough divergence between the 5
> and 6 code we might want to have separate branches to maintain those
> (e.g. master is Qt6 and we have a qt5-compat branch).
>
> Having separate branches would imply separate tarballs.
>
> How would this work with version numbers and tags? We'd have something
> like v23.08.0-qt5 and v23.08.0-qt6?

probably the branch name in front? I have the feeling it'd confuse the
"version number extractors" a bit less.

So basically kio-extras-qt5-xxx and kio-extras-qt6-xxx (or without the qt) (or
with kf instead of qt).

> > b) release one tarball that compiles both for kf5 and kf6
>
> This would be my preferred approach for things with little divergence
> between 5 and 6, i.e. not enough divergence to justify a separate branch.
>
> > c) just release the kf6 tarball, stop releasing the kf5 tarball but ask
> > distributions to still install it
>
> You mean installing the last KF5-based release? How well this works
> would depend on the amount of non-bugfix work we want to put into the
> Qt5 variant.

This is basically a variant of a) in which no longer release a KF5-based-
tarball but the distributions do some kind of renaming to make sure both the
"old" KF5-based package and the "new" KF6-based package can both be installed
at the same time.

Cheers,
  Albert