Porting aid place for Plasma stuff?

Nicolas Fella nicolas.fella at gmx.de
Wed Aug 2 23:56:04 BST 2023

Hi,

on several occasions we found API in Frameworks that we would like to
remove, but is still used in more than one place in Plasma and it may
not be feasible to port all of these usages in time for (Frameworks) 6.0.

There's a few things that fall in this category that come to my mind:

- KWayland: https://phabricator.kde.org/T11903#295217

- The drag and drop stuff in kdeclarative:
https://phabricator.kde.org/T12041#295298

- Plasma::Dialog:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/-/issues/16

I would like to avoid a situation where we have to carry these all
throughout KF6 just because we miss to remove them before 6.0. An idea
that came up was to move them to somewhere in Plasma. There would be no
stability guarantee and we'd drop them as soon as they are no longer needed.

Assuming that's something we want to do I'm wondering what a good place
for those could be. plasma-workspace? plasma5support?
plasma-portingAidDumpingGround?

Thought?

Cheers

Nico