Gitlab CI: failed unit tests vs. currently passing CI

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sat Jan 22 11:28:11 GMT 2022

Important topic, thanks for bringing this up!

On Samstag, 22. Januar 2022 01:31:13 CET Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Bhushan gave two first ideas just now on #kde-sysadmin:
> > Well we can add a switch that repos can commit to saying test failure is
>
> build failure
>
> > Another alternative is we use bot to write a comment on MR
>
> IMHO, to give unit tests the purpose they have, we should by default to let
> test failures be build failures. And have projects opt out if they need to
> have some unit tests keep failing, instead of e.g. tagging them with
> expected failures or handling any special environment they run into on the
> CI.

I'd also appreciate the option to make test failures build failures. I do
agree with Ben that at this point it's probably not practical yet to make that
opt-out. Even more so when that switch is global rather than per build type,
thinking about the harder to support platforms like Windows and (at this
point) Linux/Qt6 for example.

Of course I agree that the eventual goal should be that this is on for all
modules on all platforms, but we wont get there over night.

Regards,
Volker