KF6 meeting notes 2021-10-19

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue Oct 19 16:57:42 BST 2021

* https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kservice/-/merge_requests/60#note_323530
Does it make sense to be specific about the deprecating the different
constructors?

* https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kcoreaddons/-/commits/work/
kcoreaddons_static_plugin
Review/testing needed.

* kcoreaddons/src/lib/plugin/kpluginmetadata.h
 Why are there some members not in the private class? Seems to be for historic
reasons, we can move those to the private class.

* https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kxmlgui/-/merge_requests/79
Needs review

* https://phabricator.kde.org/T14952
Changes inline code, therefore KF6-relevant.
Seems reasonable in general.

* https://phabricator.kde.org/T11632#264728
Has been discussed several times already, agreement has been that QML bindings
go into the module they are for, where needed with an built-time optional
dependency on qtdeclarative. This is the existing practice in e.g. ki18n and
syntax-highlighting already.
Check with David F if his concerns on that from two years ago still stand.

* KF6 Timeline and Plasma
How do we get more people involved in KF6? Some people seem to just wait for
KF6 to magically appear.
Specifically useful if the Plasma team can help: https://phabricator.kde.org/
T12102
Can we move the backlog column on the workboard to left side, so it's the
first thing people looking for work see?
Aleix/Marco to promote this among the Plasma team.
For Plasma data engines, we can have a 5 support library as part of Plasma.
Migration of that not doable before 6 though.

* https://phabricator.kde.org/T12188
Not strictly a KF6 topic, restructuring/splitting the repo could be done at
any time.

* https://phabricator.kde.org/T12190
Why JSON rather than e.g. a variant map: to support out-of-process backends
and backends using different technology stacks. A wrapper class could still be
useful for making the API nicer to use, alongside the JSON-based API.

* https://invent.kde.org/plasma-mobile/plasma-settings/-/merge_requests/96
Needs review.