KF6 meeting notes 2021-10-11

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Mon Oct 11 17:05:27 BST 2021

!! Changing the meeting time:
- Monday conflicts with Alex's new university schedule and is difficult for
David F, would Tuesday at the same time work for everyone instead?
-> moved to Tuesday starting next week

KF6 Timeline
- Plasma needs to know for release planning for 2022
- possible next KF6 phase would be a branching/porting sprint in Q1 or Q2
2022, now that Qt 6.2 is released
- beta release details to be decided, once KF6 API is stable enough to be
ported to

https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-frameworks-devel/2021-September/118963.html
- how to handle deprecation of things we cannot remove right now?
- are the existing build/enable deprecation macros good enough for this, or do
we need a third mode? probably not, limited gain for a lot of complexitiy
- might prevent some frameworks from bumping the deprecation version for one
of their dependencies, happens rarely enough to be acceptable

https://phabricator.kde.org/T14856#264657
- David to port fsview, which was using the wrong signal for historic reasons
- this unblocks removal of the signal overloads

Alex's prepared questions:
> Generally some progress on the KServiceTypeTrader port for the KCM related
> stuff, needs now mostly work on the plasma side. (Both KCM providers and
> plasma-settings for the Plasma-Mobile folks)
>
> https://phabricator.kde.org/T14856 Needs input from dfaure

David commented on the ticket

> https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kconfig/-/merge_requests/82
> https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kdeclarative/-/merge_requests/85
> Opinions?

alternative to QQmlPropertyMap would be to copy the entire enum, which is also
ugly

>  I think there is no nicer/more typesafe way to register the enums in the
>  “KAuthorized” QML. Having an enum in a namespace and then trying to
>  register it to QML seems challenging. Could it make sense to move
>  KAuthorized from a namespace to a QObject class and have the methods
>  static? Relates to https://phabricator.kde.org/T11633

for KF6: make KAuthorized directly exportable in KConfig, by turning it from a
namespace into a class/Q_GADGET with static Q_INVOKABLEs, and exported as a
QML singleton, which should be source compatible on the C++ side

> I think the change would not be noticeable for users. We could make the
> constructor private, ad a friend class declaration for the QML plugin and
> all is good ;)

> I’d like to get https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kconfig/-/merge_requests/
81
> in so that it can be used in the kxmlgui MR.

fine either way, helper method can be added later as well, David comments on
the MR.

> Could it also make sense to have a method to rename a key, as ahmadsamir
> suggested in https://phabricator.kde.org/T12533 and get rid of https://
> techbase.kde.org/Development/Tools/Using_kconf_update#Example_update_file in
> the long run? It seems like it is primarily used by apps to change their own
> config – which is what we concluded at the KF6 sprint to be not the usecase
> it was intended for. With the utility method methods apps could simply do
> the moving themselves and avoid the issues described in the task. If there
> is really a usecase where the kconf_update mechanism is needed an executable
> which uses the utility methods could be easily implemented.

makes sense for replacing kconf_update usage, even if there is no immediate
pressure for it right now

> https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kcoreaddons/-/merge_requests/138
> Thoughts on this one? If this gets merged I will work on the static plugins
> support.

David comments on MR, the define name is not part of the API but an
implementation name, so naming is good enough.