KF6 meeting notes 2021-06-12

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Sun Jun 13 19:32:42 BST 2021

Hi,

the first point of discussion was of course related to the upcoming event:

- We should  schedule at least one KF6 BoF at Akademy!
-> we need need input about dfaure presence and try to avoid conflicts with
Plasma BoFs

No much activity on the tasks as there were no enough people with the proper
knowledge on the remaining items in the "needs input" column.

Looking at the status of the "needs input" column, we fixed a few errors:

- fixed the status for https://phabricator.kde.org/T12234 ("KActivities: port
away from use of quint for window ID handling"), moved to backlog (it was
discussed a few meetings ago, just the status wasn't updated)

- didn't we agreed on not doing anything with
https://phabricator.kde.org/T12197 ("Move KLanguageButton from KConfig ->
QSettings") ?
-> closing it

Talking about localization, it was pointed out that we sometimes mix-up the
terminology when talking about languages, which really means two different
entities:
- "real" languages (which are covered by the work-in-progress on KLocale);
- the locale information (language + variants, like American English, Serbian
in latin script, etc, which are combinations);
The latter is what we miss right now and blocks the KLocale porting
(https://phabricator.kde.org/T12429 )
How to prosent those information? (for example "American English" vs "English
(US)")?
After checking other systems (like Android), let's see how it works with
"Language (variant)".

Back to tasks, this one is also somehow related to localization:
- https://phabricator.kde.org/T13722 ("Flags (not the int type) from
kdelibs4support")
The discussion on the task is made of two different aspects:
- using emoji flags is implemented as part of the the KLocale work.
- there is still discussion about creating real artwork.
But most likely this is not a KF6 blocker -> moving to TODO.

Another point about KLocale. The boundaries data are extracted from OSM, so
they use the ODbl license which is not tracked (yet) by the KDE licensing
policy for Frameworks. We should add it to the license policy (as there are
really no alternatives).

See you next week at the Akademy!

Ciao
--