KF6 meeting notes 2021-12-28

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue Dec 28 16:58:32 GMT 2021

https://phabricator.kde.org/T15127
- progressed to the point that we have a mostly working KWrite
- there's still a few pending reviews
- we need a proper solution for QTextCodec (Ahmad has a potential/partial
solution for ktexteditor, MR upcoming)
- Kirigami's custom items need work: Nico might have something, Tobias to poke
him to submit that

https://invent.kde.org/education/kturtle/-/commit/
aeccd06527ea3015141b50aab5b0aa46e16d3133#note_366033
- Building apps against Qt6 makes sense (in the sense of pilot ports). But all
used frameworks should be able to be build against Qt6. For KNewStuff this is
already in progress and will be finished soon.
- all the ongoing work both in KF and apps is temporary and only for our own
development work to avoid branching, not meant in any way for consumption.
Might need to be communicated more explicitly.
- 4 to 6 upgrades are not supported for config migration (see https://
phabricator.kde.org/T11584)
- As the task states, the classes should be removed in KF6. But consumers
should not be bothered with deprecation warnings if they want to keep
compatibility with really old installs. To warn apps about it disappearing,
the visibility if the class should be put in a Qt major version check.

https://phabricator.kde.org/T14778
- Should be deprecated using a runtime warning in the implicit code path, Qt
did sth. similar. Ideally this will get it's own logging category.

https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/extra-cmake-modules/-/merge_requests/214
- extra compiler definitions as such are not a problem, if they don't
interfere with the build
- let's not make this more complicated than we actually need it

https://phabricator.kde.org/T14370#261207
- could probably be done now already in frameworks/application/Plasma code
when we exclude deprecated public API from the build

https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kcoreaddons/-/merge_requests/117
- needs review

https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kio/-/merge_requests/671#note_360363
- similar to https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kguiaddons/-/blob/master/src/
util/kurlhandler_p.cpp, which is in KGuiAddons
- binaries need to be versioned to be co-installable as long as this is in a
Framework