Merge tags in master branch?

Bhushan Shah bshah at mykolab.com
Mon Nov 23 15:11:02 GMT 2020

Hello,

So I have one question regarding the how we do the framework versioning.
Namely the tags,

So currently some packages have a versioned tags on their master branch,

i.e

karchive:

➜ git describe
v5.76.0-1-g7304c28

While in case of some frameworks where translations needs to be taken
from svn, it is something super weird like,

kdesu:

➜ git describe
v5.2.0-234-gb7ba89f

Some packagers who package -git versions in their unstable repos check
the git describe to figure out what is current revision of the package
and having "wrong" version there bugs out weirdly.

Do anyone have any opinion on "merging" latest git tag in master branch?
and potentially doing that for next releases as well?

Thanks
--
Bhushan Shah
http://blog.bshah.in