D28353: Changed contrast effect values to have more transparency, and then changed transparency accordingly

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Mar 27 17:34:30 GMT 2020

ngraham requested changes to this revision.
ngraham added a comment.

  I see some problems here.

  To be honest, the level of transparency is way too high. I know aesthetics are subjective, but it just doesn't look good to me. Even with our default wallpaper, something about it feels off:

  F8201901: Screenshot_20200327_113312.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8201901>

  F8201902: Screenshot_20200327_113351.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8201902>

  In addition, on the usability side, every transparent surface has worse contrast than it did before. And while your screenshots look appealing enough when there are no windows on the screen or the wallpaper is otherwise visible. But that's not really how people use their machines, right? people tend to maximize their windows (novice users or those with small screens) or tile everything (advanced users) or have a dozen or more un-maximized, un-tiled windows in a huge jumble taking up every pixel of the screen (messy users).

  The effect produced when a very transparent popup appears over window content of the type that any of these users will be looking at just looks really bad to me; the background becomes an ugly gray:

  F8201876: Screenshot_20200327_112832.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8201876>

  F8201884: Screenshot_20200327_112920.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8201884>

  F8201862: Screenshot_20200327_112300.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8201862>

  Also the pop-up still doesn't match the panel background: F8201861: Screenshot_20200327_112208.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8201861>. Is there another patch I'm missing that implement this?