Problems in KWayland causes by API and ABI compatibility promises

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Tue Mar 24 16:55:48 GMT 2020

There's another problem we're going to hit with kwayland at some point
in the future.

KWayland specifies the protocol version.
This means, according to framework policies we might have a released
kwin which suddenly gets a new protocol version of something being
announced.

I just had a near miss with XdgOutputV1(version2) which luckily we
were able to easily guard. Had the spec claimed that in version2
sending xdg_output.name was mandatory we would have been completely
screwed.

I'm seeing quite a few version bumps that change semantics coming up
in wayland-protocols for other things.

We either need the protocol version to be set from the compositor
instead of kwayland or for kwayland to be more explicitly tied to
kwin.

David