D26342: Allow overriding to disable auto language detection

David Faure noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Jun 13 18:58:11 BST 2020

dfaure added a comment.

  In D26342#675180 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D26342#675180>, @aacid wrote:

  > In D26342#675164 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D26342#675164>, @sdepiets wrote:
  >
  > > I don't think that's a regression, in the previous behavior you could try to set any language to proofread, it would always auto-detect "Bonjour" as French, thus the "Tools / Spelling / change language" had not effect if autodetect was enabled at system level (while autodetection should be an application or even case by case decision).

  Autodetection *is* an application setting, it's in Settings / Spellchecker... / [x] Enable autodetection of language

  >> It may not seem like an issue for simple cases, but actually for mixed contents (i.e. an email that is 50% French, 50% English) that would be detected as English, you would have no way at all to check the French text without disabling system-wide autodectection.

  In my experience a mixed email was perfectly handled, with each paragraph having a different language.
  See http://www.davidfaure.fr/2020/Screenshot_20200613_194827.png

  But I think you're talking about the spellchecking dialog (which I never use, except this month because of the need to find a workaround).
  My concern is for autodetection and background spellchecking. If a fix for the spellcheck dialog introduces a change of behaviour for the background spellchecking, that's a regression.

  >> Calling setAutoDetectLanguageDisabled(false) restores the previous behavior

  Changes in KF5 should NOT require applications to adapt in order to restore previous *working* behaviour.

  > The problem here is that David probably never set any language on purpose.

  Right.
  In fact, if I open the settings dialog, it has "français" checked in the top listview, and only that one.
  Meanwhile the Tools / Spelling dialog shows "American English (UnitedStates)" in the combobox.
  This particular issue happens even with this patch reverted. Something's rather broken.

  > you could argue that this is a deficiency of the UI, should have a checkbox for "enable spellchecking" and another for "enable spellchecking *exactly* in this language"

  Not sure I understand this.

  > And this is were we failed, we changed the default behaviour and that's probably not the greatest of the ideas in retrospect. Even if we could not see why anyone would set a language and would still want the auto language detection to be enabled, well it seems that at least David wanted because it's been the behaviour for ages :D

  *I* don't really set a language. Maybe KMail does though. @mlaurent might know more?

REPOSITORY
  R246 Sonnet