D29136: Use non-deprecated KDEInstallDir

Heiko Becker noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Apr 30 13:02:52 BST 2020

heikobecker added a comment.

  In D29136#660270 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D29136#660270>, @kossebau wrote:

  > using kdeinstalldirs variables needs to ensure that KDEInstallDirs has been included before, also introduces ahard  dependency on ECM for any users of KI18n. While 99% of apps using KI18n might do this, by design idea of KDE Frameworks KI18n as tier1 should not pull in another dependency, even ECM (so someone using plain cmake & GnuInstallDirs should be still able to use tier1 stuff). This needs some more pondering then...

  Isn't that a mere theoretical concern? At least when building ki18n yourself, you need ECM anyway, which is easy to install and almost infinitesimal small in size compared to Qt. And btw, where is the "should not pull in another dependency, even ECM" documentend? I only know of "Tier 1 Frameworks can depend only on Qt official frameworks or other system libraries" [1], which admittedly already creates a discrepancy with the ECM (build) requirement of ki18n itself.

  I'd also note that the macro already used KDEInstallDirs before, apparently without anybody complaining about it, even though I don't want to cargo cult this. Furthermore I'm not sure how to solve the bug I encountered differently, other than making marble stop using KDE_INSTALL_DIRS_NO_DEPRECATED (or using GnuInstallDirs, which possibly might break existing things).

  [1] https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Policies

REPOSITORY
  R249 KI18n