D28874: Taiwanese holidays

N. Higa noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Apr 26 13:48:05 BST 2020

nhiga added a comment.

  Thank you for your attempt to add Taiwanese holidays to KDE. However, I am afraid that this patch has to be reviewed again.

  The dates for some holidays (including, but not limited to, Spring Festival (also known as "Lunar New Year") and the Mid-Autumn Festival) are different every year because some holidays are determined based on the Lunar Calendar (農曆). That means one has to specify the exact dates for each year, just like the `holiday_hk_*` files.
  If you look at the table in the English Wikipedia entry for Public holidays in Taiwan <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holidays_in_Taiwan> carefully, you will notice that some holidays follow Chinese calendar instead of the Gregorian calendar.

  Therefore, we should try to refer to the relevant laws and regulations, and use government-published documents as sources for accuracy. In this case, we should refer to the law "紀念日及節日實施辦法" (only available in Chinese) <https://law.moj.gov.tw/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=D0020033)>. In addition, the Ministry of the Interior, R. O. C. (Taiwan) publishes a document listing the exact dates of public holidays each year ("public" here means "放假", carrying the meaning of being a day off). The document for 2020 can be found here <https://www.moi.gov.tw/files/news_file/109%E5%B9%B4%E6%87%89%E6%94%BE%E5%81%87%E4%B9%8B%E7%B4%80%E5%BF%B5%E6%97%A5%E5%8F%8A%E7%AF%80%E6%97%A5(odt).odt> (Note that the ROC era is used, so Year 109 means 2020).

  The public holidays as well as the official commemorative holidays are already complicated, so I think for the time being it would be better to exclude non-official holidays such as Halloween or Christmas.

  Thank you for your attention.

INLINE COMMENTS

> holiday_tw_zh:16
> +country     "TW"
> +language    "tw_zh"
> +:name        "optional - defaults to country name"

REPOSITORY
  R175 KHolidays