D29095: New much simpler mouse icon that works in both light and dark breeze

Johan Ouwerkerk noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Apr 22 21:16:32 BST 2020

ouwerkerk added a comment.

  In D29095#655060 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D29095#655060>, @saligari wrote:

  > > Maybe this is just me but the overall width to height ratio makes it seem that the closest "real" mice are quite dated as well.
  >
  > I don't understand what you mean with this, do you think it should be slimmer? I kind of followed the old one in this, even if it doesn't seem like it. Right now its ratio is ~0,67 while microsoft's standard old mouse is kind of close to that (but has a different shape)

  Right but that shape makes quite a bit of difference here -- especially since real mouse design is *all about* shape. You'll also note that the actual mouse you took for inspiration has a much more pronounced "hump" (as many modern mice do).

  > I don't think an icon for its place needs side buttons, fast scrolling buttons etc. Being kind of abstract, simple and out of the way I think is a plus in its case.

  That is an artistic choice.

  > The ergonomic mouse shape/ especially existing icon's left side is really cool, but unfortunately I don't have the skills to make something like this (I hardly know how to use inkscape). I think it takes a lot of skill to be able to create something realistic but also manage to strike a balance and I don't even have a little skill.

  Rght, I wouldn't have much of a clue either on how to make *any* icon. (It's just a lot easier to criticise than it is to create...) If on the other hand you really like the old mouse icon as well but just want it to work better for dark themes then another option might be to recolour the old icon to get better contrast out of it against the dark background.

REPOSITORY
  R266 Breeze Icons