D27540: KCModule: Indicate when a setting has been changed from the default or previous value

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 20 19:52:22 BST 2020

ngraham added a comment.

  Yeah, I'm sorry about that.

  If VDG people ask for something that's technically impossible, you've gotta push back on that. They often don't know what is and isn't possible, or reasonable. We've been trying to help VDG people be more technical so they don't propose impossible things, but it's not perfect. The whole process needs to be a push-and-pull compromise where the design people accept when a design isn't technically feasible, and the tech people faithfully implement the design without diverging too far from it due to minor technical limitations, or letting the design people push them into something impossible due to major technical limitations.

  The basic problem with this feature is that I think we never did the initial design work to figure out who the target audience was, what their needs were, and why they would use and benefit from this feature. Even with an inline indicator like a glowing outline around the widget, we'd have the same problem that we do with the dot proposal in the sidebar view that it would be look like non-obvious visual noise to people. And with that, we'd lose the functionality of being able to revert individual settings. But is that needed? Who benefits from it? And so on. Such a complex and all-encompassing feature needs to have these kinds of questions answered first before implementation begins. We've found that Phabricator tasks are perfect for this, and we use them extensively to plan out work before coding begins for many projects.

  I know we're all exhausted and frustrated at this point, but maybe we can do that so we can push this forward in a way that makes everyone happy in the end?

REPOSITORY
  R265 KConfigWidgets