D27540: KCModule: Indicate when a setting has been changed from the default or previous value

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 20 18:00:37 BST 2020

ngraham added a subscriber: GB_2.
ngraham added a comment.

  In D27540#652692 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D27540#652692>, @ervin wrote:

  > In D27540#652664 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D27540#652664>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > David asked for VDG to approve before this landed, which wasn't done.
  >

  > Dude, I jumped through all the hoops for the past weeks. Also it got no further reply after I updated the screenshot almost two weeks ago so yes I assumed you guys had nothing else.

  Sorry I didn't have the time to test it again. It's not just about the UI design itself, but also avoid obvious visual glitches, like this: F8249569: Screenshot_20200420_104632.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8249569>

  There are also numerous cases in other KCMs where the indicator gets cut off, positioned strangely, or isn't visible at all for a non-default setting:
  F8249574: Screenshot_20200420_105414.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8249574>
  F8249578: Screenshot_20200420_105450.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8249578>
  F8249582: Peek 2020-04-20 10-57.webm <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8249582>

  How are we going to fix that? The diversity of user interfaces we have throughout KDE software makes me skeptical that any kind of auto-generated icon placement can ever work, let alone look good. Where will the icons go in list items? Grid views? And so on. To be completely honest, if nobody could come up with a good UI, it might be a sign that the feature itself needs to be re-thought. I remain unconvinced that this is the best way to show that there are changed settings. I think @gb_2's idea of displaying the original or previous state when hovering over the Defaults or Reset button made more sense. As is, I don't really understand who the target user is for this feature.

  IMO this feature would have benefited from being outlined first in a Phabricator task and soliciting #VDG <https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/vdg/> feedback before coding began, so we didn't frustratingly go back and forth in the patches. Given the above visual regressions and broken behavior on multiple KCMs, I think this needs to be reverted and discussed and re-thought in a central location. Sorry. :(

REPOSITORY
  R265 KConfigWidgets