Problems in KWayland causes by API and ABI compatibility promises

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Apr 8 17:10:52 BST 2020

Hello,

On Wednesday, 1 April 2020 14:04:10 CEST David Edmundson wrote:
> Here is a list of active uses of the KWayland::Client API.
>
> frameworks
>     plasma-framework (for window positioning)
>
> apps:
>     spectacle (for window positioning)
>     kdeconnect-kde  (for fake input)
>     yakuake (for window positioning)
>
> extragear
>     latte-dock (for window positioning, custom shadow (which could be
> ported already) and windowmanagement)

The part of the list above makes me wonder, shouldn't the window positioning
and windowmanager features be on KWindowSystem?

I got no idea regarding kdeconnect-kde and the fake input...

> workspace:
>     kwin unit tests
>     libkscreen
>     breeze (till Qt5.15)
>     oxyen (till Qt5.15)
>     xdg-desktop-portal
>     kinfocenter
>     plasma-workspace
>     plasma-nano
>     kscreenlocker
>     powerdevil
>     kwayland-integration (the backend for kwindowsystem)
>     plasma-phone-components
>     plasma-integration

I think the above is less of an issue, right? Because workspace would have a
copy of KWayland which could be shared with whatever stability constraints
needed.

Hope that helps. :-)

Regards.
--