D27216: [KProcessRunner] Improve error messages on failure

David Faure noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Apr 5 18:09:51 BST 2020

dfaure requested changes to this revision.
dfaure added inline comments.

> kprocessrunner.cpp:279
> +    if (exitCode != 0) {
> +        KMessageBox::error(nullptr, i18n("The program '%1' terminated abnormally.\n"
> +                                         "For more details try running it from a terminal emulator (e.g. Konsole).",

Now that KProcessRunner is in KioGui, it's not supposed to use any message boxes.

It's used by jobs which emit errors, so it should just pass along the error.

HOWEVER the jobs finish as soon as the application has started.
By the time the process exits, the job is already gone and we have no way to relay errors to the user.

We don't want jobs to keep running for 5 hours if the application is used for 5 hours. The success of the job is that the application started, not that it finished.

But maybe we should reconsider this. E.g. the job could survive for just another second, to wait for very early exits like this one.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO