Deprecating KDEWebKit?

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Wed May 1 11:39:35 BST 2019

Hi,

I have recently seen a several people in #kde-devel struggling with doing the
recommended kdesrc-build based frameworks build due to kdewebkit failing.
That's not really surprising as getting the necessary QtWebKit isn't actually
trivial as it's no longer officially released, and unofficial resurrection
attempts have stalled many months ago too apparently.

In by far the most cases this would be a rather pointless exercise anyway, as
KDEWebKit seems very rarely used by (still alive) applications.

I'm therefore wondering:
- Should we downgrade KDEWebKit from "Tier 3" to "Porting Aid"?
- Should we remove KDEWebKit from the default frameworks module set in kdesrc-
build, so that especially newcomers aren't confused by the common but harmless
build error caused by it? Applications actually needing it could still pull it
in via an explicit dependency.

Regards,
Volker