D19787: FrameSvgItem: fix textureRect for tiled subitems to not shrink to 0

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Mar 15 19:17:52 GMT 2019

kossebau added a comment.

  In D19787#431712 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D19787#431712>, @apol wrote:

  > Does this solve the fluffy bunny issue?

  Yes, both approaches solve the broken rendering for Fluffy Bunny, as they both prevent width/height to be set to 0. Given the fuzzy nature of the border samples it is not that important whether full sample copies are used or if the last is only shown partially.  Also if stretched/squashed a bit they look still okay. But that is due to the nature of this theme.

  > Otherwise it could be that the theme needs adapting to tell plasma to repeat the pattern instead of stretching it.

  No, tiling already happens as it should (that's also why this code is reached).

INLINE COMMENTS

> apol wrote in framesvgitem.cpp:148
> Makes sense to me. Should we also use qRound?

qRound would mean that samples are also stretched beyond their original size if rounding up is done, right? In that case the pixel quality might be an issue perhaps.
Though the max variations then would be only half as much off from the original sample, which seems attractive indeed.

For the stretching needs I smell this could get input from the fractional resolution experts, to know if oversampling better also gets support for higher-resolution samples.

Seems this really depends on the nature of the look, and for the case of stretching with full sample copies one might provide a higher resolution sample, to keep quality.
I sense one could really would want another hint flag. Time to draft another theme where full copies are interesting. Where are pages with some Greek/Roman meander patterns to get inspired? :)

Makes me wonder how complex this should get and if theme authors actually really need all such options :)

Possibly the best for now is to just keep the existing behaviour, but limit to the minimum 1.

REPOSITORY
  R242 Plasma Framework (Library)