KDE Frameworks 5.56.0 released

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Mar 11 08:26:43 GMT 2019

On lundi 11 mars 2019 08:43:27 CET Kai Uwe Broulik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > KItemModels
> >
> >    KRearrangeColumnsProxyModel: make the two column-mapping methods public
>
> I thought that was not allowed? According to [1]:
>
> You cannot...
> * For existing functions of any type:
> ** change its signature. This includes:
> *** changing the access rights to some functions or data members, for
> example from private to public. With some compilers, this information
> may be part of the signature. If you need to make a private function
> protected or even public, you have to add a new function that calls the
> private one.

That is a very very odd piece of reasoning.

I know that MSVC builds the access right into the signature.
That means, changing from protected to public would break apps that derive
from the class and call the formerly-protected method.

But if it's private.... nobody could possibly call it from the outside
[assuming no "friends" hack, but that's not the case here], so why would it
matter?

Working on KDE Frameworks 5