D17851: Add Android notification backend

Volker Krause noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Jan 4 15:43:47 GMT 2019

vkrause added a comment.

  In D17851#386243 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D17851#386243>, @nicolasfella wrote:

  > Please note that all apps uploaded to the Play Store need to have a target API level >= 26 (Oreo). This means (among other things) that notifications need to have a channel (see https://developer.android.com/training/notify-user/channels). The current code will fail as soon as the app developer has a target API >= 26 specified. See https://developer.android.com/training/notify-user/channels for details. I would know how to do the required Java changes (I have done it for KDE Connect D9514 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D9514>) but I'm not sure if/how it's possible to do it without the support library/androidx and adding it to the build seems above my knowledge.

  Yep, I'm working on getting the support libs... I managed to get downloading of maven-based dependencies to work, but turns out all the Android support libs are AARs rather than JARs (which we can consume directly). Extracting the JAR from the AAR and linking against that builds, but that doesn't look like the right approach at all. I'd therefore like to explore building the entire Java side with Gradle (similar to what androiddeployqt does). This would solve the dependency problem for free and bring us much closer to how "normal" Android stuff is built, which should be much more sustainable.

REPOSITORY
  R289 KNotifications