D19087: Add standalone conversion functions for PropertyMap to Json and vice versa

Alexander Stippich noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Feb 23 15:23:29 GMT 2019

astippich added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> bruns wrote in propertydata.cpp:80
> Actually, I am not sure **if** we need the stringlists as a separate type.. What is the difference between multiple strings in a stringlist, and multiple strings as individual dict entries?
>
> What is the **semantic** difference between the two?

Please incorporate support for stringlists.
All clients currently rely on having string lists (or variantlists) as output for multiple entries. It is also what is advertised in KFileMetaData.
None of the clients query for multiple entries in the PropertyMap, Dolphin and Baloo-widgets will break without this for multi-value properties. All of them add and format the output on a per property basis, so querying for multiple keys requires significant changes.
IMHO all extractors should only add one property for each key to the map. If there are duplicate entries, this means that multiple extractors added results (with possible duplication).
Having it as string lists also makes the handling of them so much easier. It can be handled with one call to QVariant::toStringList().join().

> bruns wrote in propertydata.cpp:83
> Thats what also happens in the current code.

True, and I said the same quite often in other reviews. But you did not let this count for me either :)
Anyway, not a blocker for me.

REPOSITORY
  R293 Baloo