D25814: [KColorScheme] Add SeparatorColor

Noah Davis noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Dec 9 01:23:46 GMT 2019

ndavis added a comment.

  @hpereiradacosta, Fair points and I'm glad you spoke up. JFYI, I'm in no rush to land this and I will consider reserving this change for KF6 if experienced KDE devs think that is best.

  In D25814#574105 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D25814#574105>, @hpereiradacosta wrote:

  > Adding new entries to the kcolorscheme should be done with a lot of care, because it could be seen as some sort of API break for existing colorscheme, as soon as you start using this color in the widget style: you would need a fallback implementation, for all the colorscheme in the open which do not implement this particular color. These kind of additions happened a lot whith gtk3 css style and resulting of overall unhappiness and distrust from theme/color scheme developpers. This also increases the complexity of the code and difficulty to maintain.

  In terms of breakage, I think it would be fine if I made the color fallback (as you said) to what the breeze widget style currently does. 3rd party widget styles wouldn't use this color without modification, so it shouldn't hurt them. KColorScheme already has default colors, but they're defined before KColorScheme tries to read colors from the colorscheme file instead of when a color is not found. That hurts the flexibility of these defaults and seems backwards to me, but there may be a reason for it that I don't know of.

  > Also I am not convinced about the usefullness of this option either, especially considering that tweaking the colorscheme in the systemsettings is already quite advanced configuration (I would bet that most users stop at switching between pre-made color schemes, rather than tweaking a particular one. This will get even less the case if you start implementing more corner case colors.

  Yes, it is yet another option in a sea of options, many of which are completely useless when a user ventures outside of the Common Colors section. You're probably correct that most users don't even bother with manually adjusting colors since choosing good colors can be tricky. I don't think that makes this option useless though, except for the fact that it's repeated for each color set and only a few versions of it will get any amount of use. I hope to simplify the colorscheme editor in the future so that only options that do something are exposed.

  > Or do you plan to ship a "breeze dark with dark separators" +and+ a "breeze dark with light separators" ?

  I do not.

  > All in all i would say that people (that is: active developpers and the very few that manifest themselves on developper/vdg channels) having different opinion is not a strong enough argument to expose such a low level tweaking to all. Or is there an actual poll that shows (on a larger data sample) that one really cannot decide between the two options ?

  There is no such poll.

REPOSITORY
  R265 KConfigWidgets

BRANCH