D23384: [WIP] Adding support for mounting KIOFuse URLs for applications that don't use KIO

David Faure noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Dec 7 00:47:32 GMT 2019

dfaure added a comment.

  In D23384#571455 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23384#571455>, @sitter wrote:

  > The opposite extreme is to always pass when X-KDE-Protocols is set and assume that the applications are actually working correctly (e.g. vlc ought to talk to kiod/KPasswdServerClient to get credentials, otherwise its declaration of X-KDE-Protocols is incorrect and you are looking at a bug in vlc. at the very least it should throw up its own auth dialog if it doesn't know what to do).

  There's a mistake in this reasoning. The "KDE" in X-KDE-Protocols only means that this is a KDE-specific field in desktop files, it wasn't standardized.
  It doesn't however mean that these protocols are implemented using KIO.
  In fact KIO-based apps normally just set X-KDE-Protocols=KIO. Other values for that field (i.e. an actual list of protocols) *is* what other apps are supposed to use there.

  But yes, this doesn't solve the credentials issue.
  I like the suggestion in another comment to implement that in SecretService... (which could replace kpasswdserver then, at least for the storage part, only the GUI would remain).

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO