D23384: [WIP] Adding support for mounting KIOFuse URLs for applications that don't use KIO

Alexander Saoutkin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Dec 3 12:48:07 GMT 2019

feverfew added a comment.

  In D23384#571358 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23384#571358>, @fvogt wrote:

  > In D23384#571276 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23384#571276>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > I'm afraid that even with that change, the issue is still present. I honestly don't think it would be the worst thing in the world if we always handed the kio-fuse paths to apps that don't use ioslaves.
  >

  > It would be. I like to have links like http://kde.org opened properly in the web browser, ftp://some/where opened in an FTP client and so on...
  >  Media players know more about the format and streaming it than kio-fuse ever could, so avoiding layers in between if possible is definitely an advantage.

  If the URL is protected then we have to pass it to KIOFuse as most apps don't know how to get the credentials from kpasswdserver. This is a bug that has always existed with KIOExec, where before this patch it would always pass on the original URL to non-KIO apps if they understood them, but would have the same issue with credentials being required. From what I understand, `userInfo()` always seems to be emtpy even if it is password protected, so there's nothing clever I can do where if it isn't password protected I can just pass it straight to the app. It looks like we'll simply have to send the KIOFuse URL to all non-KIO apps. Trying to optimise I think is out of scope for this patch. I've blacklisted http/https seeming as they don't make much sense as a filesystem.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO