D22544: [RFC] Deprecate KPassivePopup

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Aug 1 23:13:41 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D22544#497637 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22544#497637>, @aspotashev wrote:

  > > The case where no notification daemon is running is IMHO an edge case that we don't need to support.
  >
  > Disagree here. I believe a lot of people don't use a notification system on Linux. If we remove KPassivePopup, some apps with stop working properly for them.

  This seems unlikely to me simply given that all the major DEs have notification systems installed by default, so the pool of people you're talking about would be limited to people using purely DIY systems or bare-bones tiling WMs. In such a case, by deliberately not installing notification stuff, those users are signaling that they don't want notifications, in which case, they should be //happy// to not see KPassivePopups, no? :)

  > Also, even if you use Plasma, sometimes it crashes, and then you don't have a notification daemon to connect to.

  Then we should make it more reliable. :)

REPOSITORY
  R289 KNotifications