D17623: Add YaST icons

Noah Davis noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Dec 21 02:15:19 GMT 2018

ndavis added a comment.

  In D17623#378670 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D17623#378670>, @ngraham wrote:

  >   apps/32/yast-checkmedia.svg       preferences/32/preferences-devices-drive-optical-ok.svg

  Why `ok`? This is a preferences icon, so it doesn't make sense for there to be preferences about `ok`, which usually represents a state.

  >   apps/32/yast-create-new-vm.svg    preferences/32/preferences-vm-add.svg
  >   apps/32/yast-vm-install.svg       preferences/32/preferences-vm-install.svg
  >   apps/32/yast-vm-migrate.svg       preferences/32/preferences-vm-migrate.svg
  >   apps/32/yast-vm.svg               preferences/32/preferences-vm.svg

  Is `vm` too short? Could `virtualization` be better? BTW, the way this icon is used is similar to an action ico

  >   apps/32/yast-device-tree.svg      preferences/32/preferences-devices.svg

  This icon represents a tree of devices in a graph of the system's drive partitions. I'm not sure if it's good as an icon for just any `devices`.

  >   apps/32/yast-disk.svg             preferences/32/preferences-devices-drive-harddisk-partitions.svg

  This icon currently uses openSUSE colors to represent the YaST Partitioner. I might have to change the colors to make it a KDE partition preferences icon.

  >   apps/32/yast-docker.svg           preferences/32/preferences-system-docker.svg

  Should this be `preferences-virtualization-docker`?

  >   apps/32/yast-dsl.svg              preferences/32/preferences-system-network-modem.svg

  I was planning on turning this into a 64px device icon (`network-rj11-female`). If I were to do an actual modem icon, I would pick something that looks more like a modem. Lots of modems don't have RJ11 (DSL/Telephone wire) ports and lots of devices that have RJ11 ports are not modems. I've had some issues with getting 64px icons to work though. They should work and I see no reason for them not to since I've seen them work, but whenever I try, the icons fallback to hicolor. I'll have to talk to LCP or YaST devs about that.

  >   apps/32/yast-lan.svg              preferences/32/preferences-system-network-ethernet.svg

  Same deal as the RJ11 icon, except it's RJ45. However, the name makes sense for a preferences icon specifically for ethernet, whatever that would be used for.

  >   apps/32/yast-hwinfo.svg           preferences/32/preferences-system-hwinfo.svg

  This is a 32px version of the existing `hwinfo` icon since it looks blurry as hell when scaled down to 32px.

  >   apps/32/yast-instserver.svg       preferences/32/preferences-system-network-server-install.svg

  `instserver` is for providing installation repos, not specifically for installing a server. Is `install` good enough?

  >   apps/32/yast-journal.svg          preferences/32/preferences-book.svg

  This is an icon for the systemd journal. It could probably be replaced with a 32px version of the KSystemLog icon or something similar.

  >   apps/32/yast-nis.svg              preferences/32/preferences-desktop-user-nis.svg

  Why is this `preferences-desktop-user-nis` and LDAP `preferences-system-network-ldap`? They both have similar functions, except LDAP is a more secure replacement for NIS.

  >   apps/32/yast-snapper.svg          preferences/32/preferences-devices-drive-harddisk-snapper.svg

  Snapper is a system snapshotting program, not a type of device.

  >   apps/32/yast-sudo.svg             preferences/32/preferences-desktop-user-sudo.svg

  This is for configuring `sudo`. It doesn't have anything to do with a specific user or the desktop.

  >   apps/32/yast-vpn.svg              preferences/32/preferences-web-browser-vpn.svg

  Generally, VPNs are handled by `plasma-nm`, not anything to do with web browsers specifically. Perhaps I could have picked an icon that isn't consistent with the `preferences-web-browser-*` icons.

  >   apps/32/yast-wol.svg              preferences/32/preferences-web-browser-power.svg

  This is Wake-on-Lan <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN>. It doesn'thave anything to do with web browsers. Perhaps I could have picked an icon that isn't consistent with the `preferences-web-browser-*` icons.

REPOSITORY
  R266 Breeze Icons