Phabricator: All repositories registered - upcoming workflow changes

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Thu Feb 2 10:51:15 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 10:23 PM, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it> wrote:
>> Il 02.02.2017 10:09 Ben Cooksley ha scritto:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> As a starting point: keeping the software itself running is a
>>> non-starting option from my perspective. It's going to be shutdown.
>>> This is purely to reduce the amount of maintenance effort we have to
>>> expend in keeping our systems running.
>>

>> Sorry Ben, but this is not the solution. See below.
>>
>>> There is an enormous amount of software and other systems deployed on
>>> our infrastructure, and the value of continuing to maintain software,
>>> including associated security updates, major upgrades to ensure we're
>>> able to continue running it on modern distributions, etc for something
>>> which is no longer in active use is questionable at best. Bitrot and
>>> decay is almost guaranteed to erode the value of it as a historical
>>> archive in the long run in any case.
>>>
>>> For those who dismiss decay as an issue - problems with previous
>>> Reviewboard upgrades not taking cleanly have resulted in some reviews
>>> being damaged, causing their diffs to become unavailable. These sorts
>>> of problems do happen.
>>

>> If it is a resource problem, it can be addressed elsewhere as well. The e.V.
>> can hire people.
>>
>>> Whether some kind of read only archive is retained is another topic
>>> altogether.
>>>
>>> Reviewboard has a WebAPI which should be usable by anyone interested
>>> to extract all the information regarding reviews, including their
>>> comments and the diff itself. This could be used to create a static
>>> snapshot of each review.
>>

>> Here I disagree, I think it is exactly the same issue. Without a read only
>> archive, easily accessibile like the current reviewboard (for which a static
>> copy will be the best solution), we need to keep the site up and it is not
>> thinkable that anyone would go and extract single reviews. It should be
>> available for all the content.
>
> The above point was giving an indication of how exactly someone with a
> vested interest in creating a read only archive would go about it.
> Whilst I haven't checked, I would imagine API exists to retrieve the
> list of reviews (although it's an incrementing number, with a large
> gap between the last number of SVN reviews and the first of the Git
> reviews)
>
> This isn't a task which has to be done by Sysadmin - the Reviewboard
> WebAPI is accessible (within reasonable usage of course) to anyone
> with an Identity account. To be honest it would be better that it be
> done by someone who works with the reviews, as they'll be more aware
> of the issues surrounding various forms of presentation (threading,
> etc) that needs to be taken care of.

Come shutdown day, disable login and then dump the website with wget
or something alike. Someone who's complaining can write a script so
sysadmins don't have to spend time on this ...

Here's your starting point
wget --mirror --convert-links --backup-converted --adjust-extension
--page-requisites https://git.reviewboard.kde.org

Then use that to replace the php version. The builtin search won't
work but such is life.

http://i.imgur.com/A9z0RYJ.png