D9289: KCompletionBox: restore proper layering behaviour on Mac

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Dec 15 15:09:31 UTC 2017

rjvbb added a comment.

  > This looks wrong to me, it's not a dialog

  But how often is the parent not a dialog?
  I don't notice any difference under X11 whether I use Qt::Window or Qt::Dialog, apparently those are effectively equivalent in this situation. But they're clearly not on Mac.

  My guess would be that if the parent has some sort of modal character the completion box should have at least that too ... or else it will remain behind the parent.

  >   q->setWindowFlags(q->windowFlags() | Qt::FramelessWindowHint | Qt::BypassWindowManagerHint);

  With this the completion box doesn't even appear.

  > or Qt::Popup | ...

  This steals focus (on Mac/Cocoa and even grabs the keyboard under Mac/X11).

  Did you try either of your suggestions yourself? It'd be more efficient if you didn't ask me to try all kinds of alternatives that don't work on your end ;)

  > When you test with open completion box minimize or switch window (alt+tab) should dismiss it.

  Esc should too.

REPOSITORY
  R284 KCompletion