OSX/MacPorts KDE CI System: Asking for trouble due to installations outside the expected $DATA_INSTALL_DIR/kf5 directory for khtml and katepart5

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Jul 7 21:29:57 UTC 2014

On Monday 07 July 2014 23:16:43 Marko Käning wrote:
> kde/applications/kate/inst/share/kxmlgui5/kwrite/kwriteui.rc

OK.

> So, we’re with kxmlgui5 actually NOT below /Library/Application Support/,
> but just like in Linux below /share lying parallel to /Library:
> which is where the kwrite’s folder landed already before (without me
> noticing it being completely focused on /Library/Application
> Support/kxmlgui5/ as I thought I’d get it ensured by the OSX/CI system’s
> patch for QStandardPaths in [1]).

Urgh, don't confuse cmake and C++ code.

1) Files get installed by cmake.
2) Files are looked up at runtime by C++ code using QStandardPaths.

You can patch 2) all you want, it won't have any effect on 1).

If you want to adjust where cmake installs stuff, read
extra-cmake-modules/kde-modules/KDEInstallDirs.cmake

I guess you need to set CMAKE_INSTALL_KXMLGUI5DIR on Mac.
But look at whether your scripts already set some CMAKE_INSTALL_ variables,
surely this can't be the first one, for you to end up with stuff in /Library/.

> Well, it looks like it would make sense to write a little test program which
> simply outputs the relevant paths to the console in order to check what’s
> truly being set by the patched Qt5 of the OSX/CI system.

You can use `qtpaths` for that, but again, that's about testing
QStandardPaths, not cmake.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5