Suggestion to ntroduce an application for testing config paths and access to files installed by cmake or created at runtime

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Fri Aug 22 07:21:13 UTC 2014

Hi devs,

in the light of RR 119895 [1] I wanted to ask whether you guys could perhaps
come up with a dedicated little test application which should be able to verify
all possible file accesses to configs, plugins, read-only and writable data.

For the manipulation of QStandardPaths on OSX it would be nice to have such a
tool to verify that

 1) files installed by cmake indeed land where the application expects them
    at runtime

 2) and that files created at runtime go to where they should go according
    to the various cmake config variables.

 3) all these files can be located and created in a real KF5 installation as
    well as on a CI system which makes use of isolated install directories
    for each individual framework/application

This would be a runtime test for files installed to locations like

 - CMAKE_INSTALL_BUNDLEDIR
 - DATA_INSTALL_DIR
 - KF5_LIBEXEC_INSTALL_DIR
 - CMAKE_INSTALL_KXMLGUI5DIR
 - etc. (don’t know which other ones might be needed, probably a few more!)

What do you think about a small test application for this general purpose?

Or, can I have that functionality from existing tests of specific frameworks
already now?

Greets,
Marko

[1] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-frameworks-devel/2014-August/018481.html