Monitoring autotest coverage in frameworks

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 18:28:11 UTC 2012

Hi,

2012/3/1 Frank Reininghaus <frank78ac at googlemail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Am 1. März 2012 00:44 schrieb Dario Freddi:
>> I was wondering if we already had a way to generate reports on
>> autotests coverage using lcov/gcov in frameworks. Looking at our cmake
>> infrastructure, I spotted a build mode "Profile" which should
>> apparently set the correct compiler flags (but actually, at least for
>> me, it didn't work), I didn't go as far as seeing if it also forces
>> every library to build static. Instead, there seems to be no mention
>> of a lcov target.
>>
>> Question time: is anybody already working on this? I think it's quite
>> important for us to have such a thing, and I'd be happy to provide
>> patches for this to happen (would be cool if Alex or any other
>> buildsystem gatekeeper gave a word about how this should be done/where
>> should it go).
>
> it seems that measuring test coverage does work in kdelibs 4.x, at
> least there are results submitted daily to CDash:
>
> http://my.cdash.org/index.php?project=kdelibs&date=2012-03-01
>
> AFAIK, the results which CTest gathers during the tests using gcov are
> written to an XML file (which is then submitted to CDash if you ran
> the tests using, e.g., 'make Experimental').

This is *awesome* news indeed, I didn't know CDash did that. Do you
also know if CDash is capable of generating a report which takes into
account coverage of directories as well a-la-lcov? Something like

solid/                   23%
    solid/test.cpp   34%
    etc...

If we had that, problem solved 100%. With the current interface is
just a little confusing to find out the global coverage of a specific
project/subdirectory (this could be quite important for frameworks)