Which package will provide the common KDE library version number ?

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Fri Feb 24 17:30:17 UTC 2012

On 2012-02-23, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
>> I'd be fine with a "find_package(KF5BuildSpecs 5.3.0)", assuming the
>> version number would be mandatory, as now there'd be no risk of a
>> kwhatever 5.3.0 claiming to be a kwhatever 5.10.0.
>
> This can be done.
> Then this line has to be kept in sync in all repositories in some way.

So. We go from having a script to keep one line in sync across
repositories to another solution having another script keeping another
line in sync across repositories.

Either the "set(CURRENT_LIBRARY_VERSION 5.3.10)"
or the
find_package(KF5BuildSpecs 5.2.3).

And by chosing the latter we require everyone to do complete lock-step
upgrades.

Given that we promise source and binary compatibilities, requiring
lockstep upgrades is just wrong.

So really. Let's go back. Just because something can be done in advanced
ways doesn't mean we should, especially not if it is shooting our selves
and our downstreams in the feet

> And whatever we do, without a common, (possibly optional) "root" dependency we
> will loose the "pick up install directories from kdelibs" feature, AFAICT.

I'd dislike a common root dependency, as the 'kde frameworks' is also
all sorts of low level things where a added dependency on cmake is
already sometimes a blocker, so no need to introduce ardificial extra
bits that we don't really need.

/Sune