RFC: blocking DBus calls

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Nov 8 21:09:57 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 08 November 2011 17:21:37 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:03:02 David Faure wrote:
> > Seems sensible, but I guess the whole arguing will be over  "minimal
> > round trip time". What concrete issues did you end up having?
>
> in addition to the one you noted, there were calls in Solid at some point
> that were blocking,

And those one perfectly illustrate the risk of arguing over "minimal round
trip time". Said calls in libsolid were (still are actually in part at least),
sync calls *because* they were supposed to be quick... turns out the picture
changed with time, and as more uses of the API raised it ended up on hotter
code paths.

To me the conclusion is clear: as soon as you use an IPC mechanism, you can't
take any performance consideration for granted. Except if we're talking about
something with hard real-time guarantees but we don't use any of these. ;-)

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net