i18n in Frameworks, the lightweight version

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Tue Dec 6 20:40:51 UTC 2011

> [: George Kiagiadakis :]
> Why should we keep both systems?

Because they are sufficiently different that to "merge" them would mean to
turn one into the other (or: deprecate one if favor of the other), and
neither maintainer (me, Oswald) is willing to do that.

> Considering that we go for your plan, who is going to use i18n()? It will
> probably just die... From my point of view they do the same job, so why
> should I depend on an extra library when I can just use tr()?

As I mentioned, there would be a page describing the advantages of both
systems, and then you would choose which to use. Both systems would be
supported by the KDE Translation Project. If one system dies away, that's
fine by me.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)