examples

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Mon Dec 5 23:41:41 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 09:50:09AM +0100, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday, December 5, 2011 09:24:07 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > examples have to live in their parent module so they can be linked
> > from the docs.
>
> that's a very interesting point.
> however, in kde's apidox we don't currently tend to refer to examples,

it's a bug, not a feature ...

> the reason for keeping examples together is that people then don't have to
> search for examples on how to use phonon, then sonnet, then QML in plasma,
> then solid, then ..

if they have to do that, then something is wrong with your
documentation.

> examples are educational, and that's why i favour a "full library" approach.
> in this case i think it is more important to think about / listen to our
> audience than to make a technically convenient solution.

i'm not sure which audience you mean here? i know about the one who will
jump on any sign of kde again not getting modularization right,
justified or not.
also, i've yet to see the person who wants to browse through examples of
every imaginable kde technology "just so". i tend to think most people
are more ... focused. and if you want an introduction or overview, you
don't go for just the examples - you expect them to be embedded into the
bigger work you choose as your teaching material.

> > examples should be distributed as source code in "binary" packages
>
> we could perhaps encourage packagers to do this, which means asking
> them about the feasibility of this.
> doesn't do much to help people on windows, though.

both are just a matter of what we put in our install rules. works for
qt, after all - despite qmake. adjusting packaging rules accordingly is
a total non-issue.

to cut it short, it seems to me you are trying to optimize a workaround
rather than aiming for the right solution.