GSoC project discussions

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sun May 17 05:50:39 BST 2020

Prasun,

On Sonntag, 17. Mai 2020 06:25:01 CEST Prasun Kumar wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Can someone clarify *why* there are multiple deletions in every quarter in
> the bank sort codes? I am unfamiliar with the banking rules of Germany and
> did not find any helpful info on the bank's website.

What you refer to as 'the bank' is not a bank in the normal sense, but is the

---8<---
Central bank of the Federal Republic of Germany

The Deutsche Bundesbank is the independent central bank of the Federal Republic
of Germany. Eurosystem monetary policy is the Bundesbank's core business area.
Other core business areas include the financial and monetary system, banking
supervision, cashless payments and cash operations.
---8<---
Source: https://www.bundesbank.de/en/tasks

The changes every quarter are caused e.g. by mergers of banks. Say two large banks
A and B merge their businesses leaving A, then over time all subsidiaries of B which
contain a sort code on their own either get a brand new one or use the one of the local
subsidiary of A. Another cause could be that the subsidiaries are merged into a
single sort code, as it seems the case here for most entries

 https://www.bundesbank.de/resource/blob/602624/ef3166868ccc56aad5af1b2e3a419217/mL/blz-loeschungen-neu-data.pdf

I would not worry about the number of removals here. They just happen and you resp.
your software needs to be aware of it and deal with the fact.

Hope that helps and explains it a bit.

Thomas Baumgart

Cheaper is more expensive -- thb