GSoC project discussions

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Tue May 12 09:08:28 BST 2020

Am 09.05.20 um 15:36 schrieb Prasun Kumar:
> Hi everyone,
> As mentioned in the project proposal, one of the major tasks is to
> replace the text bankdata files with an SQLite database. Currently,
> KtoBlzCheck comes with one data file which is valid at the time of
> release. Then during building, a file valid at the current date is
> downloaded from the bank and converted into a file suitable for the
> library. _So, when migrating to an SQLite DB, how should this DB file be
> distributed and updated?_

Let me share some backgrounds and basic ideas:

For KDE applications there is the KDE Store https://store.kde.org which
provides a central location for downloading additional resources used by
applications, e.g. https://store.kde.org/browse/cat/560/order/latest/
which contains online sources for pricing.

Applications that use this store do not require permanent Internet
access, as the data only needs to be updated when needed or when changes
occur. This data may already be included with the installation of an
application and can then be updated by the user as required.

A Qt/KDE-based api is available for this store to access data from this
store (see https://api.kde.org/frameworks/knewstuff/html/index.html),
which is probably not ideal for non KDE applications like aqbanking or
GnuCash. Qt is already used by aqbanking, but KDE libraries are not and
GnuCash uses gnome libraries.

KDE applications could also include updates via knewstuff (if there is a
way to script the store to update the data, which is currently not
possible).

For other applications ktoblzcheck could provide an API for fetching
bank data similar to knewstuff if this data is not available through the
package manager or the update intervals are not sufficient.

Regards
Ralf