Adding support for additional countries

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sat Jul 11 06:44:30 BST 2020

Prasun,

On Montag, 6. Juli 2020 21:30:09 CEST Prasun Kumar wrote:

> Hi mentors,
> Can you guide me on how should I proceed with adding support for additional
> countries?
>
> As pointed out in the initial discussions by Ralf,
> https://invent.kde.org/office/kmymoney/-/blob/master/kmymoney/plugins/ibanbicdata/
> contains some python scripts which are to be used to generate databases
> which should be added to the library.
> The scripts contain the link to the respective bank websites which as much
> I could understand,
> are related to IBANs.
>
> However, it would be helpful to get a confirmation about the expected
> outcomes of this addition.

I am not sure if that is really feasible. My dutch is very limited but the provided
list only contains the BIC for each institution. That code is used in international
transfers between the banks and not of great help here. The swiss version points to
a larger list, but reading the specs at

https://www.six-group.com/dam/download/banking-services/interbank-clearing/de/bc_bank_master/bc_records.pdf

(sorry, only in German) shows me, that not enough information is contained to be usable
for your endeavor. Just like with the Dutch version, the only information is the BIC

One thing I could envision is that you can add a separate table with columns like

   Country - BIC - Name of institution - Valid from - Valid until

and provide it to applications, so that they can check for valid BICs. But I leave
that to Ralf since I don't know what the goal of the project is at that point. The
one thing I can say is, that the mentioned information is not related to IBANs.

> BTW: You can read the progress reports at my blog:
> https://prasunka.github.io/tag/gsoc/

Thanks, read through it.

Thomas Baumgart

There is no way to happiness.
Happiness is the way ;) -- Thich Nhat Hanh